Skip to main content

Teachers Shape Destinies

It has been really long since I wrote on my blog, and there could not be a better day than today to write again. September 5th every year is celebrated as Teachers’ Day in India to honour the legacy and contribution of teachers and educators. It has been three years since I stepped into the teaching profession. Before coming into teaching, I worked in industry for a relatively short period. What made me step into the academic profession was my long-term passion for sharing knowledge and continuing to learn along the way. I always felt that learning becomes more meaningful when it is shared with others. This was something I missed in my former job role. Another important reason, I believe, is my natural inclination towards academics. My father also worked in the same field who recently retired from service after spending nearly 33 years in the academic profession. Perhaps, somewhere along the way, I learned from them that education is not simply a profession; it is a way of contributing to the lives of others. It is always a matter of immense pride and satisfaction for me to be a part of this profession, and there are plenty of reasons for saying this.

Since I started working in this field three years ago, wherever possible, I have always tried to give my best within my capacity to the profession I have chosen. There have been times when I have gone beyond what I thought I could do. There have been tasks that seemed impossible at first, but with devotion and passion, I continued working on them irrespective of the final outcome. This, I believe, happens when we have true passion and love for what we are doing. When you genuinely care about your work, the effort itself starts becoming meaningful, even before you see the result. There are many myths about the teaching profession. One such misconception I recently encountered was that teaching is a so-called “easy and fixed job.” I heard this from a manager who recently interviewed me for a research position. During our conversation about the roles and responsibilities of my profession, he simply expressed his view about teaching and explained how difficult and demanding the new job for which I had applied would be. Of course, there are jobs that demand many things from us, and every profession has its own challenges. But teaching and academia should not be considered an easy or fixed profession. As students and as professionals working outside academia, we rarely get to know the complete nature of a teacher’s responsibilities. We mostly see the visible part—the classroom, lectures and examinations but there is a great deal that happens beyond these. I have shared a detailed account of this in one of my earlier blog posts, life in academia. Teachers do far more than teach a curriculum. Besides being a mentor, a teacher is also a well-wisher, a guide, a friend and a fellow traveller in a student’s quest for learning. What I have learned over these years is that teaching is not merely a vocation; it is a responsibility. It is more than a career or a job; it is the opportunity and responsibility to shape human beings who will eventually shape society.

My memories linked with teaching over the past three years give me a special sense of immense fulfilment. I have taught several classes of undergraduate and postgraduate students. Apart from curriculum teaching, I have always tried, wherever possible, to speak to students about the values they should develop so that they can become better than their previous version. Sometimes it is about discipline, sometimes about being honest with their work, sometimes about learning beyond the syllabus, and sometimes simply about not giving up when things do not go as planned. These things may not appear in any curriculum, but I believe they are equally important in shaping a good student-cum-person. This and many other experiences give me enormous satisfaction in being part of this noble profession. At the same time, as a teacher, I have also learned many things from the students I have taught. I believe that teachers, too, learn a lot from the spontaneity, curiosity and questions of students. I am always keen to have conversations with students and understand their thoughts and new ideas. What they share often stays with me. A classroom, therefore, is never a one-way journey. While we teach students, they quietly teach us how to look at the world through a different lens.

I have always admired Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam as my “Guru” and inspiration. In my conversations, talks and lectures, I often quote him. His views on teaching and the role of teachers have always been among my favourites. Dr. Kalam's life itself was a beautiful example of how knowledge can be transformed into service. He continued to inspire young minds and remained deeply connected with students and education throughout his life. I have always found something deeply meaningful in the fact that, despite his achievements as a scientist and as the President of India, he placed such importance on teaching and interacting with young people. For me, this reminds us that the highest position a person can reach is not always the one written on a designation; sometimes it is the place we occupy in the lives of others.

Today, on the auspicious occasion of Teachers Day, I remember and convey my gratitude to all teachers for shaping character, instilling moral values, showing direction and bringing kindness into the lives of millions of students. I still remember each of my teachers, professors and mentors and the values they taught and instilled in me. It would take much more space to mention all of them here, but whatever I am today, I owe so much to them. Every teacher leaves something behind in a student—sometimes knowledge, sometimes confidence, sometimes discipline, and sometimes simply the belief that the student can do better. We may not always realize the importance of those moments when they happen, but years later, we understand how deeply they shaped us.

Today we are living in the age of technology and artificial intelligence. Almost everything around us is being touched by technology and AI, and teaching is no exception. Today, I see a large number of students and learners using and admiring technology and AI as sources of learning. There is no objection to this because these technologies are an important part of the changing landscape of education. They can help students learn faster, explore more and access knowledge that was once difficult to reach. But at the core of all this, there should still be a teacher who is there to guide, empower, inspire and encourage independent thinking. Technology can give us information, but education is much more than information. AI can provide an answer, but a teacher can help a student understand whether that answer is right, why it matters and what question should be asked next.

Somewhere, I feel, students may be forgetting this important connection. The role of a great teacher has never been confined to the four walls of a classroom. It extends beyond the physical classroom, shaping character, inspiring lives and guiding communities. Therefore, I would encourage every student to look beyond AI and technology and continue to have meaningful conversations with their teachers. Use technology, learn from it and make the best use of it, but do not forget the human connection in learning. Not everything you want is available online. Some precious things are meant to be learned by sitting with someone who has spent years learning, experiencing, making mistakes and understanding.

Perhaps this is also what Teachers Day should make us think about—not only what teachers have done for us, but what we, as teachers, are doing with what we have received. Education has given many of us opportunities that we may sometimes take for granted. The knowledge we received from our teachers, the opportunities given by our institutions and the experiences we gained from society have all contributed to where we stand today. If knowledge has helped us move forward, perhaps its true value is realized only when we use it to help someone else move forward.

This thought has been with me for some time. And this Teachers Day, I decided not only to write about teachers, but also to take a small step towards giving something back to society. I am taking an initiative to build an academic platform that focuses on the things beyond the regular curriculum things that are important for the overall development of students and faculty but are often not formally taught. I will discuss the things in detail in coming time as it allows me to do so. With this note I take leave from this space and hope to coming back soon here. 

P.S.: I am grateful to my wonderful students who sent me their beautiful wishes on teachers day! 💗  

Quote: From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however makes a life

-Winston Churchill

Until next time!

Gaurav 💛

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY COLLEGE JOURNEY

                   MY COLLEGE JOURNEY As I look back on the years gone by, I can’t be thankful enough for them. Professionally and personally, those are the best years I’ve had. Those college years (2016-2020) gaves me a lots of experiences, a lot of memories, a lots of life lessons, and so on. What did you learnt in those years? Can you describe it in one word? For me it is “GRATITUDE”. I discovered that having a deep sense of gratitude for all that you have in a life is a source of profound happiness. As I started my college for the first time in the month of August 2016. I was quiet afraid as I do not want to go the B.Pharm Degree course. But due to the some reasons I took a decision to go to the bachelors of pharmacy degree. From the very first day of my college admission to the till date the my journey of college was very interesting and distinct. On the 8th of July 2016 I took admission to the KVPS Institute of Pharmaceutic...

Journey of Master's: Lessons and Reflections

“Lao Tzu”, once rightly said, “The Journey of Thousand Miles Begins With a Single Step”   Today I’m at the stage of finishing my master's and heading towards a new phase of my life. I still remember the days when I’m in dilemma about choosing the next path of my career after my bachelor's. As my bachelor degree was nearing the finish, I was quite firm about doing my master as on a distance basis from the same institute. But due to the importunity of family members, I opted to go for the regular mode. I still remember the day when (30/1/2021) when I confirm my admission to the college and started my master’s college on regular basis from 5/2/2021 onwards.  Initially, the college was supposed to be on online mode due to the upsurge in COVID-19 cases. Up to June 2021, things are getting normal back. Due to COVID-19, the exam for the first two semesters of the first year was held in online mode (Sessional exams were offline mostly). As already our year has started quite late due t...

2025: A Year in a Nutshell

The time has come to say goodbye to 2025 and welcome 2026. This is the right time to look back at the year, think about what happened, and prepare for what is coming next. For the last two years, I have built a habit of reviewing my year and learning from it. This moment helps to remember what I did, what I missed, and what I still want to do. I truly believe this is the time to learn from the past and get ready for the future. Reflection is not only about success. It is also about emotions, mistakes, lessons, strength, and growth. So it is important to pause, think, and move ahead with better understanding. Like always, 2025 passed very fast. It feels like it just started and now it is ending. Every year teaches something. Sometimes it feels light and happy. Sometimes it feels heavy and difficult. But every year shapes us in some way. At the beginning of 2025, I had many resolutions. Some I completed, some I could not. That is completely fine. Life does not always follow our plans. Wh...